John Kember's works are published in several collections, organised by musical style, performer level and instrumentation. Click on a series for more information.
Collections and Series
- Easy Jazz PiecesShort pieces to make this popular genre available to relative beginners, and for those at primary and intermediate levels.
- Easy Piano DuetsDesigned to be played by teacher and pupil, or by two players of equal ability.
- Jazz masterclassesJohn has worked with Jiggs Whigham, internationally acclaimed trombone virtuoso, to produce this fine in-depth guide for aspiring jazz trombonists.
- Jazz Piano StudiesJohn Kember's love of jazz and latin styles is well illustrated by the volumes in this collection, which includes material for everyone from the beginner up to more advanced players with a wealth of pieces to help develop a true jazz style.
- On the Lighter SideAlthough the pieces in this collection are on the lighter side, they are by no means trivial and offer pianists of all levels something interesting and challenging. The series contains both piano solo and piano duet volumes, some with CD recordings of the pieces.
- Original Jazz BalladsPieces for the solo player that evoke the atmosphere and styles of popular songs from the periods when melody, lyrics and harmonies reached their peak.
- Play Ballads'The joy of ballad playing is indulgence pure and simple: performing the smoothest and most expressive of melodies'. The melodies are similar in style and are attractive, providing opportunities for developing tonal quality, phrasing and legato playing. Play Ballads offers the Grade 4-6 (intermediate) instrumentalist the inspirations of some of the greatest exponents of the form.
- Play BroadwayEach volume in the Play Broadway series features 10 of the best shows from across the decades. Available for six seperate instruments, each volume includes a CD with backing tracks and piano accompaniments.
- Sight ReadingSight-reading is a vital accomplishment for any musician. This series provides a new approach and includes introductory introductory and more advanced volumes for instrumentalists (the Sight-Reading volumes) and vocalists (the Sight-Singing volumes).
- Starting OutShort, tuneful pieces to help new players of all ages gradually widen their range of notes and rhythmic patterns. Although these pieces are broadly progressnve in range of notes and rhythmic figures used, they are intended as a source of material from which the teacher can select to suit the needs of individual pupils rather than needing to work from cover to cover.
- String Quartet ArrangementsJohn Kember provides in this series a variety of pieces from classical, romantic, baroque and modern periods in score and parts for the string quartet.
- The Ensemble CollectionThese original compositions, presented in a variety of styles, offer each player an equal share of the melodic interest and are aimed at students of similar playing experience and standards. The minimum teacher assistance should be required.
- The Jazz Piano PlayerThe books in this series are based on well-known songs from the Great American Songbook by great American songwriters such as Cole Porter, George Gerwin and Harold Arlen. The purpose of these books is to help pianists to understand chords, chord symbols and voicings. Each song is shown in two forms - firstly with melody, words, chord symbols and notation; and secondly an intermediate standard solo arrangement.
- The Pop Piano PlayerDesigned for pianist wanting to make the transition into playing pop piano, as well as those keen to develop their own style.
- The Simply SeriesThe books in this series each take a genre of music: Latin, Jazz, Swing and provide a series of original pieces by John Kember that fir perfectly into any repertoire.